Continuous performance engineering and testing, as well as attending conferences, are crucial for performance engineers to stay updated on industry trends and advancements in order to improve efficiency and create resilient systems.
GUEST: Alexander Podelko
LINKEDIN PROFILE: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexanderpodelko/
Support the SMC Journal. Buy Me A Coffee: https://bit.ly/smcjournalcoffee
Alex Podelko, a senior performance engineer at Amazon Web Services, discusses the biggest changes in performance testing in the last three to five years. He highlights the importance of continuous testing and monitoring in the cloud and agile development era, as well as the challenges of developing a one-size-fits-all approach to continuous performance testing. He also calls for the academic community to be more involved in developing new solutions for this emerging field.
☁️ Load testing and performance engineering have become more important as industries move to the cloud, agile development, and continuous deployments.
👁️ Continuous testing and monitoring are essential in this environment.
🧩 There is no one-size-fits-all approach to continuous performance testing, as it requires new methods, statistical analysis, and AI.
🎓 The academic community needs to be more involved in developing new solutions for continuous performance testing.
🗓️ There are a few academic conferences devoted to performance, but they are not enough.
- 📢 00:00 Open text sponsors the episode and offers LoadRunner for load testing professionals, while West networks provides sdwan Solutions for various industries, ensuring unbreakable connectivity and reliable access to critical information. Expand
- 📝 01:56 Performance engineer Alexander Podelco discusses the importance of continuous performance engineering and testing in adapting to industry trends such as cloud and agile development. Expand
- 📚 05:04 Conferences for performance engineers are valuable for learning and sharing experiences, but finding comprehensive ones can be challenging, with the CMG conference being a notable option. Expand
- 📚 07:50 Academic conferences like ICP International Conference on performance engineering are not boring as they focus on generating new ideas and advancements in performance engineering without sales pitches or advertisements. Expand
- 📚 10:41 Conferences for performance engineers offer networking and learning opportunities on topics like performance continuum, cloud performance, and artificial intelligence. Expand
- 📝 12:28 The speaker mentions conferences like Netflix’s, the International Conference on Performance Engineering, and the Performance Advisory Council as great places to learn about performance engineering and share knowledge with peers.
- 📢 13:44 There is a need for more conferences for performance engineers to discuss and collaborate on topics like testing, monitoring, observability, and resiliency, as the emphasis on performance is shifting towards being a characteristic of a resilient system, with a criticism of a conference for being too focused on financial aspects and an emphasis on the importance of engineering in improving efficiency. Expand
- 📅 15:57 The conference for performance engineers, ICPE, will be held in London from May 7th to May 11th, 2024, with paper submissions due in early November 2023.
This podcast is sponsored by OpenText – the Information Company. We power and protect information. Our purpose is to elevate every person and every organization to gain the information advantage. OpenText works to power the ubiquitous information around us to elevate everyone. We strive to help customers simplify their systems with frictionless automation and equip them to thrive and grow in a digital world. The LoadRunner family is one of many solutions areas where OpenText can help. Did you know that the LoadRunner family has the largest community of load testing practitioners in the world? Join the community at http://bit.ly/435Y5Po
Performance Engineering The LoadRunner Family Page:
Performance Playlist (YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlUdEXI83_XoQrAsCj2A92v5AmXqVfoIO
This podcast is sponsored by West Networks. Do you need unbreakable network connectivity? West Networks can help! They are a leading provider of Peplink-based SD-WAN solutions. They can help you achieve unbreakable connectivity by utilizing Peplink’s SpeedFusion Bandwidth Bonding technology.
Mobile Health Customers: Since 2012, West Networks has been assisting those in Mobile Health Services space by providing communities with access to life-saving technology.
Mobile Command Unit or First Responders: West Networks works with mobile command field units, like First Responders and new agencies, delivering faster and reliable access to mission critical information all the time.
Mobile Workers: Whether you’re an IT professional who needs to work from anywhere, or a full-time vacationing traveler in the RV community, West Networks can help you stay connected all the time.
For The Enterprise: Large Enterprises can save up to 83% off of costs while expanding communications and reliability beyond a single carrier with West Networks’ Peplink-based SD-WAN solutions. We can help you replace expensive MPLS connections with SpeedFusion Site-to-Site Unbreakable VPN technology.